Martini Lutheran Church!
Revised July 1, 2020:
Please be with us for OUTDOOR SERVICE (weather permitting) or INDOOR SERVICE, plus enjoy Streaming:
INDOORS. WITH HOLY COMMUNION: Sundays, 11 a.m. (no reservation required). Indoor services strictly observe masks, six-foot social distancing, and hand sanitizing. Page 184 Divine Service, with Holy Communion after the streamed portion (Service of the Word) is completed.
OUTDOORS (Serivice of the Word): Sundays, 9:30, weather permitting. (If inclement weather, the service is not held at all)
1) Outdoor Worship is, by City order, “weather permitting.” We worship in the shade of the locust tree on the grass triangle out back. In case of inclement weather, however, the City does not allow us to take the worship inside, so we would dismiss at that time, if we have not cancelled in advance.
2) Please bring a lawn chair from home, or avail yourself of one of our chairs from the rack.
3) Rest room use NOT allowed (the City is clear that no one goes into the building during an outdoor service)
4) Masks, social distancing, and hand sanitizing are by City order.
5) No reservation required. Come and worship!
6) For those with breathing issues, the outdoor worship should offer more fresh air.
STREAMING of the 11 a.m. service will continue each Sunday in perpetuity Listen LIVE or Archived.
Considering Visiting? Please check out the “What to Expect” section of our “Learn More about Us” Menu, at left (desktop) or below (mobile).
From Pastor Robertson
We at Martini Lutheran Church have been called to preach the Gospel of grace in the midst of a viral pandemic. We find ourselves met with understandable governmental limitations and new spiritual opportunities.
Our Church Council and Lay Ministers have chosen a path, not of closing down, but of honoring our Civil Authorities as the message of a saving Christ emanates from our sanctuary across the internet, and now, with limitations, in person. This is helpful to our families, but it is a less than suitable substitute for the American freedoms enumerated for the work of any church. It does occur in the context of a highly contagious disease, so we seek to exercise a responsibility to society, to one another, to our Lord Jesus Christ.
As directed by our Church Council, the Lay Ministers have set forth the plan we are using.
The Lay Ministers’ plan acknowledges that we will be true to Scripture as we consider these points:
1) Our membership is, on average, older than the general population, and older people have a greater risk of death from the virus. Still, we have many younger people who are eager to worship in person as soon as possible, indoors or out.
2) Jesus designed church to to bring us close together, and, during the pandemic, there may be need to modify traditions and customs for a time.
3) We will purposely lag the state by as many as three to four weeks in certain ways. If any re-opening parameters of the state result in significant increase in sickness, we are insulated by this, as well as informed, by taking it a little slower.
Streaming is planned in perpetuity. We did it before the virus, and we thank God it found good use. We plan to continue. To Stream, Please click on YouTube button, at left, or click here. Enjoy Martini LIVE or by archive!
…From my Heart to You:
Friends, we are wanting so much to open, unfettered. For now, we will open as God’s stewards would do it.
– Masks, sanitizer and social distancing: We hold each others’ health in our hands as long as the virus is round about us, and recognize that we may be carriers of COVID-19 without knowing it. Beloved ones at church don’t need a potentially deadly disease from us; none of us needs the sorrow of having been the one who, because of not doing basic things, may have given it to them.
– More regarding masks, sanitizer, and social distancing: I hope you have this Godly heart: Leave your Politics at the door. And remember that, out of concern for others, a Christian may choose not to use all of his/her God-given rights for the sake of someone with special need (1 Cor. 9:12… “Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.” A maskless or non-distancing member, carrying the virus to a weaker member “without meaning to,” fits this verse!) Instead, coming on the property, bring your wise head and loving heart, asking, “How shall I take care of my church family members whose health may not be good, or who are older and statistically far more vulnerable to die from this? Then wear your mask, sanitize your hands, and keep your social distance as a way of demonstrating your love to each person around you! If your diagnosed medical health keeps you from wearing a mask, please see Pastor regarding worship and Holy Communion.
– Here’s what we hope for: As Maryland and Baltimore City re-open, if one of our worshiping loved ones does come down with the virus, I want them to be certain, “I couldn’t have gotten this at Martini. They were more caring about not passing the virus than anywhere else I’ve been!” Friend, this depends on you to the greatest extent.
Finally, this disease is a reminder that we are living the result of humankind’s fall into sin, and the death and destruction it brought since Eden. Let’s be sure to hear God’s call to humble ourselves before Him with a repentant heart for our own sinfulness and our sins, and look to His Son, Jesus Christ as, in fact, He is: The One sent to be the Redeemer, the Savior of the world — and of you in particular. Find out more by clicking on these links, and also listen in on our streaming worship services by clicking on the YouTube button in the left column of this page.
While we may find the present situation unnerving, our Lord came to earth for such a time as this. He will be our cleansing and sustaining power each day, and our motivator to serve others — and in all these He will prove Himself faithful.
Fear not, says the Lord, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Now back to our regular front page…
Welcome to our website! We hope you’ll check us out. Click the buttons, above. Explore us and our links. Tell us what’s helpful. Get into God’s Word on Bible Gateway. Click on “Devotions,” above for daily time with the Lord in Scripture and prayer. Hone what you believe as you look into What We Believe (see links at right).
Enjoy Family – friendly links such as these games and activities.
Maybe you’d make us your home page, and enjoy the convenience of Daily Devotions Google Maps and Directions Baltimore Weather Bible Search, and more – all a click or two away! To find some hidden short cuts on our masthead, above, click here.
We want to invite you over to church for a Sunday morning or other worship service. You’ll like our free parking, our all-on-one-level architecture, and the beautiful surroundings of church when you’re at worship. You’ll experience good preaching and teaching for all ages. We preach Christ. Martini is determined that people will know the work of God in Christ: in the hearts of all who worship, in the neighborhoods surrounding us, and reaching to the far parts of the earth.
We’re glad you came to the Martini Lutheran Church website. Please come back some more!
Pastor Elliott M. Robertson,
and the people of Martini Lutheran Church, Baltimore